View Single Post

Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Liked 6,258 Times in 2,063 Posts

Don't know if this will help with your decision making process or not, but I will share an experience from a recent class I put on.

I had a recently widowed 76 year old lady with slightly arthritic hands that did not know which of her recently deceased husbands collection she should use, she simply grabbed 8 boxes of 45ACP ammo which ran the gamut there were 185gr. semi wadcutters, 200 gr semi wadcutters, 230 JHP, 230 FMJ and some I did not recognize.

We instruct the students to have a bunch of loose rounds in their pockets so as to be able to top of their magazines while we are giving them instructions for the upcoming stage.

Well, being the good and dutiful student she was, she dumped ALL of the ammo out in her gym bag and mixed all of the ammo. She was using my M&P 45 Full Size as a loaner.

To my surprise and that of the other instructors as well, the M&P ran everything with no problems at all. Also, the point of aim and point of impact seemed to remain the same with magazines loaded with all kinds of different ammo.

After class she returned my M&P .45ACP she asked me to write down what it was that she just used. I did and asked her why, her response was "I have to go get one of these, this is fun!!"

I am not sure any of my beloved 1911's would do the same with magazines full of mixed ammo.
Randy