View Single Post

Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,289 Times in 4,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superheat View Post
I was planning on shooting this gun for competition for years to come. If it will wear out I am going to sell it. Does S&W warranty this wear??
I am not a competitive shooter but I used to shoot a lot. I have had lightweight Commanders since I was a young lad. Still have my original one in .38 Super, and one purchased a few years later in .45 auto. They're both from the late sixties.

I shot the .45 a lot more than the Super. The Super cracked its frame maybe ten years ago. It probably had 10% of the rounds through it the .45 has had. The .45 has been shot so much that the slide has been refinished at least three times. It is just as accurate and reliable now as it ever has been, but it could break tomorrow.

Your Smith with the Scandium frame should have better material in it than the Colts have. If purchased new, it probably has the best warranty in the business. I bet you will shoot a lot of rounds through that gun without trouble, and if you do have some trouble, I think S&W will handle it fairly. You can't really predict when things are going to break, so if you like the 327, why get rid of it? I'd use it as intended and handle whatever problems you have as they occur. If a pattern of trouble develops and it is more than you are willing to put up with, that is the time to get rid of the gun, IMHO.