View Single Post

Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 530 Times in 243 Posts

Many people worry too much about the "lifespan" of their guns.

Unless you shoot a ton, the average shooter won't wear out a S&W revolver, alloy frame or not.

Think of it this way, for a non-reloader, a case of 1,000 rounds of .357 will run you about $400. Say an alloy frame .357 will shoot loose in 20,000 rounds......it would cost you $8,000 in ammo to "wear it out". The $400-500 cost of the gun is a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to wear out.

I also shoot Rugers, and many competition shooters have 100,000+ rounds on GP100's and Blackhawks. The cost of this, even for a reloader, is staggering. I own so many revolvers, I don't expect to see the day any of them wear out in my lifetime, even the "well used" ones. Between my work schedule and making it to the range even twice a month being a dream right now........plus money for ammo.......I'll be retired before I probably even get a chance to put the first 1,000 through some of my wheelguns. I used to stress about "putting too many rounds" through my guns, but the truth is I don't have the time to even worry about this right now.

Still, if I were to buy a gun with the intent of shooting it a lot, I wouldn't go for a Scandium.

Last edited by stantheman86; 06-19-2011 at 10:53 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: