View Single Post

Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 AM
US Veteran

Liked 9,263 Times in 2,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA225 View Post
We didn't have hand held radios the first 7 years I was on the road. You knew the phone number to the places you normally checked out at and advised dispatch. When out on a call you took care of business or went back to the car to call for backup. Most of us actually didn't want walkies to start with, Sam Brown belt was already too heavy and crowded. Today the younger deputies wouldn't know what to do with out a hand held.
When I joined our Dept. in 1972, we had 3 "beat" lights strung up on Broad St., as we had a walking beat patrol in the downtown area. If they needed you, they turned on the lights, which were red, and then you called in on one of the 3 phone boxes along Broad St. A year or so later we got the walkie talkies, which were rather large and came in a leather case with a strap that you slung over your shoulder, Sam Browne style. The 1st or 2nd day I had one while walking the beat, I saw a stolen car being driven in the downtown area and radioed in. We recovered the car and arrested the thief.

Last edited by bgrafsr; 06-20-2011 at 06:20 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: