View Single Post

Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 AM

Liked 945 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilOhio View Post
Andy, thanks so much for those load suggestions, which I've printed out. I will work my way through some of them.

I have no problems with cylinder throat/bullet realtionships. Throats on both my S&W and SAA are precisely uniform and correct. I have bullet sizes that just barely can be pushed through them, some that are .001 to .002 undersized, and some that are .002 to .003 oversize. No combination gives good accuracy, but the bigger, oversize ones are better. And the best ones, the factory Silvertip loads, have bullets that are about .002 over the throat diameters.

So the problems are still a mystery to me, and maybe one or more of your loads will be the magic combination. It's amazing how small changes can affect accuracy.
If your bullets vary by being 2 to 3 thousandths oversize, you probably should try buying better bullets. While the original diameter for 45LC bullets was 0.454", most gun builders postwar commonized the 45LC with the 45ACP and now the 45LC is based on a barrel diameter of 0.452", just like the 45ACP. That is why Ruger and others sometimes offer revolvers with both a 45LC and a 45ACP cylinder. I have had good luck with Oregon Trail bullets, in both 250g RNFL and 255g SWC configuration. I'd say that the 250g RNFP has the edge in terms of accuracy. Also, a REALLY good bullet is the Ranier 250g FP plated bullet.