View Single Post

Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

SW CQB .45,

I am absolutely not a Luger expert, but I owned a chrome plated S42 Luger round about 10 years ago so I can't resist jumping in. S42s are one of the common Lugers. When cars all had chromed bumpers every town of any size had chrome plating tanks in an auto repair shop somewhere and WWII surplus stuff was inexpensive. If you can't put 2 + 2 together I'll give you a hint. My brother in law also has a chrome plated S42 that he inherited, and while I had mine a saw a couple chrome plated Lugers in LGSs. Both were priced at $400 which I took to be the going rate but I'm not sure because I bought mine in a one price for two guns deal and parted with it in a gun show trade.

Millions of Lugers were made and surplused plus Hollywood made them famous so Luger stories abound. Hopefully you can believe mine. It's pretty simple: it's damn hard to hit a crow in your orchard with the sun reflecting off those tiny chrome plated V sights and I never could hit one! I guess that gives me some slight expertise on Lugers, and I can warn you that they were fitted too tight to leave room for a layer of bumper chrome. Combine the chrome plating with a Luger's temperamental nature and don't expect 3rd generation S&W reliability.

Gil