View Single Post

Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,702 Times in 2,624 Posts

Take the stocks off and check the inside right panel. You may find the gun's serial number scratched on the inside right surface. If so, don't throw the old stocks away when you replace them for appearance's sake. They were factory fitted to the gun nearly 110 years ago. Even broken and worn, they have value, and they belong with that piece. If there is no number, it may be those stocks date to the time when the gun went back for service.

One other thing. look on the steel grip frame while you have the stocks off and see if there is a stamped number like 11.16 -- that would mean November of 1916, and that would be the month in which the gun went back to the factory for work.

I'm not quite sure when the policy of date-stamping service returns began, but your gun may have been on the proper side of the boundary to be stamped.

When you get the holster repaired, you can carry the gun in it, but don't store it in the holster. Leather has acids that can attack the gun's finish. You can get a silicone impregnated gun sock at any gun store, or a silicone cloth that you can wrap around it.

If the action is sound, you can shoot that gun. But avoid all overpressure ammo (+P, +P+) and stay with the standard or soft loads. I shoot 148 gr wadcutter match ammo in all my prewar M&Ps (including a four-inch 1902/first change that is just a year or two younger than yours).

And welcome to the forum! I should have said that first.