View Single Post

Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,286 Times in 4,880 Posts

Most of the problems I had with my Model 29s (at that time I had two that I used most of the time, both 29-2s) were with heavier than standard bullets. When I used 240- and 250-gr bullets, I never had a cylinder "run backwards," but I sure did with the 300-gr loads.

Can you beat up a Model 29 - sure. Can you "wear one out" - sure. You can beat up and/or wear out anything. The Model 29 is what it is. It's a great machine that does well what it was intended to do. It is from an era when it was not common to shoot a lot, or to use a gun like it in competition.

As to shooting 44 Specials and recoil, etc., I am not sure why the gentlemen says what he does about the "average experienced" shooter. I know lots of guys who shot lots of 44 Magnums in their 29s, and certainly they did not limit themselves to 20-30 shots. One of my friends who had the resources to do it would routinely shoot 200-300 rounds in an afternoon - sometimes more. While a very good shot, he never struck me as exceptional in his ability to handle the gun.

Most of the problems with recoil that I am familiar with involve the 4-inch guns. They have always had a bad reputation. I don't know anyone who shot them a lot, but certainly the 6.5-inch gun was not considered abusive, and the 8-inch gun not much of a strain at all.

Those are my "recollections."