Thread: S&W pocket 9mm?
View Single Post

Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSam View Post
Other than a "little bit" more weight than the Poly Pocket models from other manufacturers, the CS series was definitely a pocket pistol. And they were very controlable compared to the Poly units. I have a CS9 and wouldn't trade it for any of the Poly pistols being sold by the other manufacturers. It beats them all, hands down, in every category that really matters.
I don't know about that. I have a CS9 and also really like it. But there's over 5 oz of loaded weight between the CS9 and the LC9. I put my CS9 in a pocket holster but I never forget it's there. I wouldn't say 25 oz is a pocket gun. Just today i was carrying my CS9 in an IWB holster and I also never forgot it was there. 5 oz is over a quarter pound. Now, there is NO doubt that the CS series is a higher quality pistol, but there are smaller and lighter pistols out there that launch 9 MM rounds just like the CS does. A self defense gun has one purpose: to work when it needs to. It doesn't need to be the slickest thing out there. Now I'm torn btween getting an LC9 for summer carry and using the CS9 in the cooler jacket months, or going for the Bodyguard .380 for summer carry. I don't wanna start buying .380 ammo, but a 9-10 oz carry difference is a BIG difference.

I used to carry a S&W 642, but I insist on a safety on my carry gun. My 3 year old once saw me putting away my old model 36 and he asked to see it. I unloaded it and gave it to him with the cylinder open. he promptly closed the cyclinder, cocked the hammer, and pulled the trigger. The he said "now the dinsosaur falls down dead". I never taught him how to do that. I'd prefer a gun a bit less easy to use. I train enough to know how to flick a safety off. The gun is locked up and unloaded when not in use, but I still err on the side of caution.

Last edited by kbm6893; 07-01-2011 at 08:52 PM.