View Single Post

Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
US Veteran

Liked 50,532 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettis1 View Post
Really excellent and objective article, John. Can't argue with any of your conclusions. Do you, or anyone else, have any insight into the status of the "quality control" issues that you mentioned regarding the S&W barrel?

Bob
Bob, the quality issues I spoke of (barrel irregularities) on the 457 I examined for the article were of course applicable to that single gun. Whether or not such things extended to other 457s, I cannot say. I have examined other 457s, but only cursorily, not having time to do anything like the careful examination I conducted on the guns used in the comparison. Perhaps other owners could read the article and check their own guns, posting their observations here. My guess is that I just got a "Monday gun" that was not entirely up to S&W quality standards. The burrs on the muzzle of the barrel were easily cleaned up with some fine-grit sandpaper rotated by hand there. The internal irregularities may or may not have contributed to accuracy problems, and as I mentioned in the article, could probably smooth out with extensive shooting.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 07-05-2011 at 11:49 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: