View Single Post

Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haris1 View Post
ET says above that he has a 40 cal smith auto and went out and bought a 357 barrel. i know that will work since the mags are he same and so is the breechface and the extractor.
But he say he also bought a 9mm barrel which is a skinnier case at the back end so how can it work in the slide made for the 40.? I would think the extractor would not work. any answers would be appreciated.
I use a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel in my M&P 40 that has exactly the same outside dimisions as the 40s&w barrel. The chamber & the interior of the barrel have been milled to 9mm specifications. These barrels do require that you use the proper 9mm mags with them. I also use 9mm conversion barrels in my 40s&w Glocks (Lone Wolf) and have never had a feed/ejection problem through approx. 5000 total rounds in these barrels. The worry about ejectors & extractors is blown way out of proportion. The oem 40s&w ejectors & extractors seem to work extremely well with the 9mm conversion barrels. The problems that I have heard about with these barrels are usually fixed when the barrel is returned to the manufacturer for repair/remilling.

There is another thread where a member has installed a standard OEM 9mm M&P barrel into his 40s&w M&P. He is stating that it is working great for him. I had a local gun shop take a 5" M&P barrel out of a 9mm M&P (long slide) & install it into a M&P 40 (long slide). It did not work at the store. The 9mm barrel kept jambing the slide each time they racked it. They deduced that the OEM 9mm barrel does not fit the 40 M&P, yet this member is shooting his with no problems. That is baffling to me. I guess I am going to investigate this phenomenom further since the oem 9mm barrels are cheaper than the Storm Lake barrels that I bought at the Storm Lake website.

Last edited by ET.; 07-06-2011 at 12:47 PM.