View Single Post

Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 AM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts
Default More on Krylon

Found myself in the paint aisle at WalMart yesterday and this can of Krylon hammered metallic jumped out at me. Well, it was under $6 so I left it in the cart. When I got home I picked one of my reject J frame adapters, wiped it off with mineral spirits, and gave it a couple of light coats just to see how it would look.

Judge for yourself:

Attachment 48715

Sorry I don't have immediate access to a stainless or light alloy gun to put it on (hmmm - maybe I really NEED a stainless gun, eh? For the business, you know.) But I think it looks pretty neat. It isn't aluminum, but I'd bet it would go nicely with stainless or alloy frame.

The two light coats completely hid the black of the original, and covered up some surface blemishes on the original to boot. I'll let it cure for the 7 days the can says it takes to become "fully chip resistant." Then I'll take it shooting, although even then won't be able to judge durability (unless it starts to peel immediately, which I don't expect.)

BTW, please try to ignore the light smear on the side plate - that's flash reflection off the ceiling. The studio lights I usually use are out on loan, so this shot was taken with a single flash in the hot shoe. It's late, and I want to get this posted, so I'm just making do with the quality of this particular shot.

Last edited by wrangler5; 07-15-2016 at 06:38 PM.