Thread: Titegroup
View Single Post

Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Liked 6,943 Times in 3,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdan View Post
Since the OP mentioned that he was looking for a plinking load for that 300gr. bullet, Titegroup may work very well. If the poster was looking for a max velocity load, I would agree with the folks that recommend the slower burning pistol powders. All of this said, I am in the camp of Roundgunner when it comes to Titegroup. This is a fantastic powder for lower velocity target loads. I've found that this powder delivers superb accuracy in those older low pressure cartridges such as 38 Special, 44 Special, 45ACP, and 45 Colt............especially the 45 Colt. As to the naysayers that whine about a small amount of fast powder in such a large case with the inevitable Kaboom from a double charged case........I say............Don't use it if you are not a competent and careful handloader. I load those 45 Colt rounds on a single-stage press. Bullets are seated ONLY after the charged cases sitting in the loading block are visually inspected. My Redding measure drops this powder with "dead nuts" accuracy. Titegroup is one of the best metering powders that I have had the pleasure to work with.

I keep hearing these statements that Titegroup burns "hot" and causes leading. Anyone have a link that cites scientific evidence about this "hotter burning" claim? I don't consider statements like......"my gun feels warmer after shooting Titegroup loads"........to be all that scientific. As to leading..........I use Titegroup for my 148gr. HBWC bullseye loads in my K-38. I have had no leading issues with Titegroup loads, and a swaged hollow-based lead wadcutter is about as soft a lead bullet as you will find.. Titegroup has replaced VV-N310(another superb powder for bullseye loads) in my K-38 loads, as it delivers a very small gain in accuracy at 50 yds over the VV-N310 loads. Kudo's to Hodgdon for coming up with this "improved" powder formulation in the fast burning genre. They certainly gave this powder an appropriate name..........This stuff delivers!
I dont mean to step on your neck here .. but the load in discussion is a 300 grain baseball sized chuck of lead over titegroup ....
this is getting fairly extreme as combinations go.
what TG does in a 38 HBWC load lives in a totally different universe as does all the other loads cited with only your 45 LC example having a chance of representing the OP's goals.
if we are talking about a 200 grain in a 45 colt, we have a reasonable load but still fall well short of a proper comparison to establish a baseline due to the 300 grain baseball proposed.
Yes, it can probably be done but it dont mean it should be.
A plinking load is defined by its economics foremost, with 300 grains of increasingly precious metal involved, it fails the category. 300 grains from a 44 or 45 is a business class cartridge and shouldn't be tortured into something its not.
that said I'll assume the op has a mold for said bullet and is looking to save some green when he has fun on the range.
then I suggest that the 300G mold is in need of a buddy ... a 200 grain wadcutter mold.
since it will devour most of the case space without presenting an absurd workload, it does extraordinary things over fast burning powders, in fact it works out better with fast powders. Not only is the result superior by comparison its a cast 2 cast one free kind of deal without the narrow margin issues.