View Single Post

Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 126 Times in 58 Posts

stiab,

Thanks for your insight.

I don't think "rare" is the right word, probably "scarce" is better. I have have found two at gunshops in the last 5 years, bought them both, and sold them both. I never paid over $400 plus tax, and trying to sell the last one was a real effort.

To clarify your statment; You have bought two of the 171 first production run M60-1 guns for $400 plus tax and had a hard time selling the last one.

When you ask "What am I missing?", here is the answer: I have said on this forum before, and a few will disagree, but scarce J frames do not come anywhere close to commanding the same prices as equally scarce K and N frames.

I agree and am well aware of the differences in pricing. I'm also aware that some view the gun as a "shooter" while others like me consider it a collector's item.

I know, because I have owned a bunch of scarce ones, including the 60-1 with adj. sights, a 3" Model 640, a Model 042, a 3" RB Model 60, a 2" Model 63, the two 3" SB Model 60's referenced above, etc. You gun is worth a premium over the 3" SB guns I found because of condition, box, pinned barrel, etc., but it is still probably a number that you might find disappointing.

Thanks again, I continue to view the NIB 60-1 as a 1 of 171 collector's piece, and will be returning it to safe queen status.
SWCA #2465

Last edited by S&W HE; 07-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.