View Single Post

Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,972 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFarmer View Post
My guess would be that it was made in one of the areas of China that had a heavy "White" Russian presence after the Russian Civil War.
As I said, China's on my list as a place of origin for this piece. It's got to be somewhere where familiarity with the English alphabet is low, and I deduce this from not just the fact that the markings are gibberish, but that characters are frequently upside down, too.

The one thing that I think is expecially interesting and that nobody has latched onto yet is that those appear to be genuine S&W medallions inset into the horn grips. So wherever this gun came from, there had to be a supply of those, and China might qualify on that count also (think of all the Royal Hong Kong Police guns that have been posted on this forum that have had Victory-style plain stocks substituted for the originals).

One other tidbit. I mentioned earlier that this revolver bears a four digit serial number. Each of those digits are different, and they match throughout the gun (butt, rear cylinder face, crane, and frame again in the crane recess) which suggests that the number is a legitimate identifier. That in turn implies actual production as opposed to a "one-off" or a very small batch of guns. As I have also previously observed, aside from the markings the revolver overall looks manufactured as opposed to cobbled.