View Single Post

Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiesDuckHunter View Post
For range shooting and qualifying as you mentioned, I'd really look hard at the 5906 (all stainless) or 5903 (SS slide/alloy frame) or the .40 S&W caliber equivalents- 4006/4003.

If you're into 45's there are similar models. These all have the Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) triggers and are good shooters. I prefer the 5906.

Like vista461 said, if you want to stay with a double action only pull, the above models come in that configuration.

(5946/5943/4056/4053, etc.)

There's a very nice 4053 TSW (Tactical Service Weapon) version on GunBroker right now. Usually you can find great deals form members on this forum in the Classifieds thread.

I didn't mention any of the compacts as you said your primary interest was for range/qualifying. But the above models generally come in compact versions as well.

There are older models that are great shooters like the 39-2, 539, etc., but if this is your first S&W metal framed pistol I'd stick with one of the 3rd generation models (usually a 4 digit number like 5906)

If you've got the cash ($2000) and want to go all-in, there is the current production S&W 952 Performance Center pistol which is one of the finest semi-auto pistols ever.

No one has mentioned the M&P's here as most of us are obviously biased towards the metal framed pistols on this board. The M&P's are good shooters but you are looking at a Polymer framed gun like your Glock- although a lot nicer than a Glock IMO.
I am with you on the metal frame, not a fan of plastic. Thanks for the advice, I hope to find some of these models locally so I can see how they fit in my hands before I buy. The glock did fit nice in my hand I must say.