View Single Post

Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. Smith View Post
I tried to use a 45 ACP round for deer hunting in Missouri. I heard that you couldn't use the FMJ so I got some rounds that were, IIRC 180 gr. They were a kind of cone shaped lead bullet. I don't reload and have no idea what the powder was or anything like that. Whatever it was it didn't work. I shot at a deer in an open field, about 75 yards off and the bullet made it little more than 2/3rds of the way out there.
I traded the gun for a Winchester .300 magnum. Problem solved.
Peace,
gordon
That's more your shooting than condemnation of the 45acp. It has barely enough gas for 25yd shots IMO, w/ the right bullet. FOr me, that would be a wide meplate, 200gr LFP @ 950fps. It will completely penetrate any deer broadside, but you run out of serious vel quickly past 50yds & most 45acp & shooters just aren't that accurate for 50yd shots & beyond. Can I hit a deer @ 100yds, sure, I routinely shoot my 1911 @ 100yds & score hits on man size metal sil, but that isn't the same as placing a 44mag within 3" of POA @ the same distance. If you wanted to use a JHP< the 200gr XTP running the same vel is a pretty good bullet & still likely to exit a broadside shot, doing more damage than the LFP.