View Single Post

Old 07-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 364 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
Howdy,
I know this is an old thread; but it contains great info, and needs to be carried forward.
Like some of you guys; I too fell in love with these little wonders back in the 50's. It's a love that has now carried into my senior years. That love has now born fruit; as I have just received my first 1903 today. It's not as nice as the ones pictured. It most definitely has seen a lot of use. It has also had some poor amateurish stock refinishing that will take a bit of time to reverse. But; since I only paid $750 for it; I can afford to do it right; or even replace it entirely. The mechanisms, metal finish, and bore are all in great condition, and have not been molested. It has never even been drilled and tapped. Please believe me when I tell you that I am one happy camper.
I see that ammo is very scarce and high priced; which brings up my reason for posting. Does anyone know what other rounds might be used? I see that the 6.5 Carcano, and the 6.5 Swiss are very close, and readily available at half the price of the MS rounds.. It looks like the Carcano might be fire formed; but that the chamber will have to be slightly lengthened to accommodate the Swiss. Are either of these ideas do-able, safe, or even feasible? Any comment will be appreciated.
Regards from Texas,
Larry
Larry,

The other calibers that you list are not interchangable with the 6.5x54 MS. Graf & Sons has Norma brass for $18.60/20 and PRVI brass for $50/100. PRVI brass is good brass, I use it in several calibers. Midway has Norma brass for $25.50/20. If you handload, that is the way to go. What part of Texas are you in? I'm in SE Texas near Beaumont/Houston. If you don't handload, maybe we could get together and load some cartridges for you.
Hugh
[email protected]

Last edited by Gatorbaiter; 07-22-2011 at 05:34 PM.