View Single Post

Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,155 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
Howdy,
I know this is an old thread; but it contains great info, and needs to be carried forward.
Like some of you guys; I too fell in love with these little wonders back in the 50's. It's a love that has now carried into my senior years. That love has now born fruit; as I have just received my first 1903 today. It's not as nice as the ones pictured. It most definitely has seen a lot of use. It has also had some poor amateurish stock refinishing that will take a bit of time to reverse. But; since I only paid $750 for it; I can afford to do it right; or even replace it entirely. The mechanisms, metal finish, and bore are all in great condition, and have not been molested. It has never even been drilled and tapped. Please believe me when I tell you that I am one happy camper.
I see that ammo is very scarce and high priced; which brings up my reason for posting. Does anyone know what other rounds might be used? I see that the 6.5 Carcano, and the 6.5 Swiss are very close, and readily available at half the price of the MS rounds.. It looks like the Carcano might be fire formed; but that the chamber will have to be slightly lengthened to accommodate the Swiss. Are either of these ideas do-able, safe, or even feasible? Any comment will be appreciated.
Regards from Texas,
Larry
Larry-

There is no 6.5mm Swiss! Do you mean 6.5X55mm Swedish? Some modern foreign loads might be a bit hot for your rifle, even if you can find a gunsmith qualified to do a conversion. The revolving magazine may have to be modified, and you'd damage any collector value if you alter the rifle beyond a skilled refinish.

I'd ask SDH here in a PM, if need be. He is a famous custom gunsmith and may know. Or, call the Colo. School of Trades and see if their students or instructors have done such a conversion.

I once owned an 8X56mm M-S that came with an old box of Western ammo made in the 1930's. I found some DWM ammo then imported by Speer, but they no longer bring it in, if it's even still loaded. I found that that one MAY be okay for conversion to 8X57mm S, if one is careful about hotter ammo. I think it did have the "S" bore, .323". The spool magazine limits what conversions are feasible.

Let us know what you learn. This could be an interesting project! I fully understand your desire for more easily available ammo. You could also ask if .260 Remington might work (as a conversion), but that ammo is also not a major success, unless I just don't see much of it. I think 6.5mm Swede is your best candidate. Frankly, I'd leave it alone (other than the stock refinish) and just pay through the nose for the right ammo and not shoot it a lot. Or, reload, as Gatorbaiter suggested.

T-Star

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-22-2011 at 05:39 PM.