View Single Post

Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Liked 3,814 Times in 1,243 Posts

Due to anemic factory offerings, it gets little respect and the fact that magnum revolvers fire it, purpose built revolvers fell out of favor.

Older revolvers could not take modern loads, so factories don't load it to its potential - for the most part.

Now, if you reload, you can control what it is, and if you have a modern firearm to fire it in, you're golden.

Long known as an inherently accurate cartridge, modern revolvers do nothing to dispel that. Up the velocity to something in the 900fps range and you have a 250g cast bullet going exactly where you want it to. 900fps does not sound like a large deal, but realize that moderate speed allows MORE penetration.

By way of example...

Consider the 45-70 vs the 458. There is no dispute which is the more powerful, the 458 rules the roost. Using the same weight and diameter bullet, the 458 moves @ 2800fps and is devastating! Compared to the 45-70 moving @ 1800fps, there is no contest.

When you take these two rifles to a penetration contest, well, there is no contest - the 45-70 with its slower bullet blows the 458 out of the water! Not even close. Shoot a cape buffalo with the 458 and you'll drop it and when you open up the bull you'll generally find the bullet.

Do the same thing with a 45-70 and you better be sure there's not another bull behind the one you're shooting or you'll end up hauling both away. The 45-70 so out penetrates the 458 that it's legendary.

Back to the 44Spl.

You have a bullet weighing the same as a 45 colt, moving at the same speed as the 45 colt. What's different is the sectional density (SD) and the ballistic coefficient (BC) which is BETTER in both cases for the 44Spl.

This means the 44Spl will fly farther and shoot straighter (theoretically) than the 45 colt, and once it gets there, it will penetrate further (theoretically).

Not a world of difference, but a difference none the less.

All this accuracy and hard hitting downrange performance in a non magnum that's pleasant to shoot, easy to carry and has the blessing of both Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith - among others.

Most people that shoot the 44 mag eventually get around to shooting specials and in many cases they enjoy the easy shooting the special provides. There's little argument that the 44 mag is superior and I'd be lying if I told you I didn't giggle like a little girl when I touch off some foolishly hot rounds in my magnums, but the elegance and accuracy of a purpose built 44 Spl is something you come around to once you have your basics covered and are looking for a refined thing.

I have all the options I desire in firearms, I am fortunate that way. Now I am having a renaissance with old school firearms, things that toss pumpkin balls accurately. Not much can stand up to big chunks of lead at moderate speed.

Take the Civil War. Black powder, low velocity, but they made up for it with big chunks of lead. Look at the damage those bullets caused. Of course they were actually HUGE bullets, but perhaps you get my point - bigger IS better. Velocity is one thing, but there's no replacement for displacement.

I ramble, please forgive me. I hope this sheds some light on the topic and in some way helps.

G

The Following 22 Users Like Post: