View Single Post

Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_conway View Post
Hi all, New member here. I found the forum after contacting Bad_Man_One through a web search. I have a 1006 and have indicated my desire to get a 5" 40 cal barrel. In his posts he indicated 4 levels of barrel fit. Could someone please give examples of accuracy effects of these options? I think I could handle the #2 option by myself, but I do not have the equipment or skill level to do 3 or 4 myself. I am a home defense / casual target shooter user. Any recomendations / comments / opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Gerry
Hey G,
Just sent a pm.

For "Target shooting and home defense" most go with a "#1 fit - drop in"
If you are capable of polishing the spherical diameter down a little then I recommend option #2.
It does not cost any more, but you have to be very careful as to not remove to much.

Fit option #1 to allow for a drop in fit, I have to give .001" to .0015" clearance to fit all guns.
Based on the guns that I have been able to check the size of the barrel bushings.
There will be tighter ones and looser ones, I do not know what S&W was trying to hold for tolerance of the bushing.

If you look at the length of a 5.00" barrel compared to a target @ 50 ft,
It reduces accuracy at 50 ft. by about 1/8" to 3/16" by the math based on similar triangles.

.001" is to 5.00" as .120" is to 600 " (50 ft) and so on.

Regards,
BM1