Thread: Duty to inform?
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

I submit that these claims are just as valid as any other internet claim where people don't actually know each other--such as yours and mine.

When you read this one, remember, there is no duty to inform in GA and there never has been. That's a factor in the Glynn County video, too.

I recently got pulled over for speeding (52 in a 35mph zone) in Dunwoody, GA. The officer asked that I provide my driver's license after giving me a sermon for the reason he was pulling me over. Anyway, upon pulling out my DL out of my wallet he noticed that I had a concealed weapons permit (which I keep behind my license in the see-through pocket of my wallet).

He then asked me if I had a gun in the car which I said yes. He asked if it was load which I said yes (stupid question...right?). He then asked where I had it, which I responded in the glove compartment. At this point, he asked that I unlock my passenger side door and put my hands on the steering wheel. He walked around the back of my car, opened the passenger side door, and retrieved my gun (in a holster).

When he came back to my car with citation in hand, he then gave me yet another sermon...suggesting that I volunteer this information next time. Meaning, that I tell him or any other officer that I have a weapon in the car should I ever get pulled over again. He handed me the citation, my weapon, and then the ammo.

Here's my confusion...was this guy paranoid or am I being super sensitive? He was professional at all times; therefore, I’m not complaining on that front. However, I've been a concealed weapon holder for over 22 years now and I've NEVER had any police officer ask me if I had a weapon in the car when getting pulled over for a moving violation. I told the offer that I disagreed with him. I told him that I was not a felon, that I was not committing a felony, and that I was not reaching for the glove compartment when producing what he asked for which was my driver’s license. I would agree with this officer's suggestion should I have been attempting to reach for my wallet and the wallet would have beem in the glove compartment. That was not the case here. I produced my license by reaching into my pocket.