Thread: Duty to inform?
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Here is another one: of course, some people will surely dismiss them all as internet rumor.

Tonight I was driving my car down Chastain Lakes Rd in Kennesaw at 1am. I just drove past the wal-mart when I see another car approaching. I am going slightly above the speed limit, but I haven't seen a car since I exited 575. As I passed the car I realized it was Cobb Co. PD and I decreased my speed slightly to speed limit. I watched my mirrors and saw him loop around. He sped up on me and I put on my signal before his lights even went on. Sure enough BLUE LIGHTS. Since I work in Buckhead, handle large sums of money and leave at 1am, I carry my main, and a back-up because you never know.
He approaches my car and the dialog begins
Cop 1: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me: Please tell me, but my guess is speeding.
C1: Do you know the speed limit on Chastain Rd?(We were on Chastain Lakes...)
Me:45
C1: I clocked you going 68.
Me: Really? I'm sure I wasn't going that fast.
C1: I need your license.
Me: Sure thing.(I hand him my license and GFL)
C1: Do you have a gun?
Me: I have 2, one on my hip. Backup on my ankle.(My hands have not left my steering wheel except to give him my license. He runs my permit, comes back valid)
C1: Why do you have 2?
Me: Because you never know what might happen.
C1: Ok, keep your hands visible, I'm going to ask you to step out of the car.
Me: ok(I wait for him to open the door)
C1: how do you open your door?
Me: Pull the handle...
C1: Ok put you hands on your head and face away from me.(At this point his gun is drawn and pointed at my head). Put you hands behind your back, if you move you will have a bullet in you.(I really don't know what to do. I wait for him to grab my hands because I really don't want to get shot.)
He disarms me and I hear sirens approaching.
Me: Don't tell me those sirens are for me.
C1: They are.
Meon't you think that's a little much. My guns are already in the grass, and I'm handcuffed.
C1: I have 1 gun, you had 2. I'm just trying to go home tonight.
Me: Understandable, but I'm already disarmed.
C2: Why do you have all these guns?
Me: I work in Buckhead, late at night.
C2: So, why do you need a gun.
Me: Have you ever been to buckhead at night? There are break-ins, violence... I want to stay alive.
C2: Why do you need 2?
Me: Because you never know what might happen.
C3: I get it, thank you.
C2: Have you ever been a cop?
Me:No
C2: Have you ever worked security?
Me: Yes
C2: So you were a security guard.
Me: No, but I work security at my restaurant, I am the line. I do everything, security is just one part of my job.
C2: So you haven't worked security.
Me: If you are asking if I have worn a shirt that says Security, my answer is no. If you are asking if I have worked security, without a shirt, my answer is yes.
C2: You don't know anything. Have you ever security in your job description?
Me: Yes. Security is in my job description, just like ordering food, and writing the schedule. I do everything.
C2: Cops get shot by permit holders everyday.
Me:**Shaking my head, and turning my head away from him and to the ground. I don't answer his questions anymore.**
C1: Can I search your bag?
Me: I think it is unnecessary, but if it will let me leave earlier then yes.
C1: So, is that a yes?
Me: Yes
C1: What's this?(20 ft away, in the dark)
Me: I have no idea, my vision is not that good.
C1: It says Amphetamines.
Me: That is my prescription, for ADHD, with my name on the bottle.
C3: Ok. Got it. I like what you are doing. I get it.
Me: Thanks, this is ridiculous.
C3: I know, we are almost done.
Me: Thank you.
C1: Ok, I'm going to put your firearms in the trunk and the ammo in the front seat. Get to where you are going. If you stop to get your guns out of your trunk, you will be pulled over again and arrested. I'm going to let you off with a verbal warning. Drive safe.

My thoughts:
1) I showed him my valid permit without asking. I don't have to declare, yet I did.
2) I understand safety, but once I'm disarmed, was everything else necessary?
3) He searched my car without asking. He only asked about my bag.
4) I had a gun pointed at my face for following the law, and being honest with the officer.
5) Not once was I a threat. I was calm, never quick movements.
6) How many times were my rights violated tonight? My count is 4.
7) I want to thank the third cop for not being a complete douche. The other 2, not so much.
8) I have no idea any of their badge numbers, names, or anything else. I just wanted to go to bed.

Questions:
Should I file a complaint with cobb county?
Am I unreasonable in thinking this was ridiculous?
Why does the second cop have a badge and a gun? He was a complete moron. I don't feel safe with him protecting me.

Thank you all for letting me vent. This was insane.