View Single Post

Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigirondan View Post
I prefer 124 grain FMJ NATO rounds.
Why in the world would you prefer a FMJ? Unless you are in the military, there is no good reason to use the 124gr NATO round for self defense. Sure it will put people down for a dirt nap, but many times it will produce a through and through wound that does little damage to the internal organs. It punches a nice little hole straight through. Even when the bullet tumbles inside of tissue, it does not create nearly as much damage as a longer round (like the 7.62 or 5.56). Wounds like this will allow a person to continue fighting for a period of time even if the wound is a fatal one. The 1986 Miami shootout is a great example of bullets failing to stop a person.

Modern hollow point bullets are designed to produce the largest wound cavity possible. They are designed to dump massive amounts of energy into the body. They are designed to stop a person quickly and effectively.

You could make the argument that shot placement is everything, but with a FMJ round, you would have to hit the brain, spinal cord, or heart to stop the fight quickly. Thats a pretty tough shot to make is a stressful situation.

I don't know if you are a hunter or not, but I'll ask anyway...
Would you hunt deer with a FMJ round? I can't think of anyone that does. People want to drop a deer in their tracks, and that is often achieved with hollow points, ballistic tips, and soft points that are designed to expand on impact.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean its always a good idea.

Last edited by Ghostofwar; 07-28-2011 at 06:00 PM.