View Single Post

Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 AM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Smile My 2 Cents

I have been reloading since 1962, using mostly RCBS presses.

I started with the "Junior", then the "Rockchucker", then the A2, A3, and A4("Big Max"). The big winner turned out to be the Rockchucker. That was the best value among them, which is the only one of that group that is still in production. The A2 was the heavyweight, useful also for case forming and swaging, but was replaced by the A3. The A3 had the shortest life, and was replaced by the Big Max (A4). The A4 was a giant, but had design flaws and some weird annoying features.

In my opinion, the 2 best quality ones were the original Rockchucker and the A2. The later Rockchuckers are not as well made as the early ones. The older ones can be identified by the dull green powder rough surface coating. Later ones have the shiny green paint. If you can get one in very good used condition, GRAB IT! Then clean it up like new, and check the fittings. It will last forever.

Start out with single stage reloading on a Rockchucker, and learn SAFETY, checking powder charges visually. Don't watch TV or chat while reloading, for the same reason not to drive a car and use a cell phone at the same time.

Later on, use an inexpensive Lee turret press for faster pistol reloading. A Rockchucker and Lee turret are a good combination to have.

Dillon presses are expensive, and only necessary for shooters that are engaged in very high volume shooting in a few calibers. However, Dillon itself is fantastically great in backing up their products and customers.

Now for the elite of them all ----- Redding. The Redding turret press is a compact and heavy press that can do it all. If strength and quality is what you want, this is the Rolls Royce of reloading presses. It is in the $300 range. The turret is rotated by hand, so you can use it as a single stage or as a progressive method press. RCBS and Lyman make similar presses, but they are wimpy compared to the Redding. If you buy the Redding Turret press at the start, you don't need either the Rockchucker or the Lee Turret.

It comes with one turret head that handles 7 die stations. You can buy additional heads for about $50 each, and they each have 7 die stations. It takes about a minute to change heads, so you can leave the dies in each turret head, similar to the Lee Turret. The Redding can easily do case forming, sizing, pistol, rifle, etc. It has solid, rigid alignment, and power.

By the way, Redding makes the best dies of all. Hornady is #2, and RCBS trails. RCBS used to be the best, before the original Huntington family sold the company years ago.

On accessories, Redding and Sinclair are the quality leaders. Sinclair has some very exotic gadgets, like micrometers, neck thickness gauges, etc. Both companies have beautiful FREE color catalogs. Call them on the phone, and you'll get the catalog in 3-4 days.

Good luck,
Alan Dash