View Single Post

Old 07-30-2011, 10:32 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 142 Times in 54 Posts
Default S&W Model 639 w/ Fixed Sights

Hey, guys. Just wanted to show a few photos of my newest acquisition and ask a question or two.

I just won this Model 639 off of GB and I'm very pleased with it. I was able to pick it up locally, so that was nice too. This is the only pistol in my collection...I've got 6 or 7 revolvers (all pre-MIM and pre-ILS), and heavily prefer the wheelguns. After scouring the SCSW, this is the only semi-auto that S&W made that really appealed to me.

I really like the heft and inherent durability of the all-stainless steel construction, the classic lines of the original M39, the wood grips, the fixed sights, the extremely ergonomic grip...the list goes on. This M639 just seems to have everything I'd want out of a pistol. It doesn't have the smoothest trigger in the world, but it seems like it'd be conducive to good accuracy, and it's got a nice reset. I still have yet to take it out though :/ I probably "bought a little early", but I really wanted it and figured I wouldn't see another one in like condition for a while; so I jumped on it for $595.

I've been trying to work with Kramer to see if they couldn't make a holster for this gun, as they don't appear to have any molds for this model w/ the squared trigger guard. They told me to stop by the shop next week, so I'm going to take the pistol in and they're going to see if they can't make a scabbard for me. This'll be a carry gun, and I've got Kramer holsters for my carry revolvers; so I'd like to get one for this pistol too. With that said...does anyone know of any other good open-top leather OWB holsters for this model w/ the squared trigger guard?

This pistol wont replace my Model 66, or my other wheelguns, but it'll be nice to mix up the carry rotation a little and I'm used to "low capacity" guns, so the 8+1 doesn't bother me in the least. Also, this gun appears to of perhaps been made in 1988; which would make this a "birth year gun" for me

Thanks for looking,
-Rob