View Single Post

Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

I'm truly surprised that a company rep would recommend shooting a cartridge in a pistol that said pistol wasn't designed, or chambered, for. I'm quite certain that his bosses don't know he's giving out this kind of advice. It goes against everything they print in their company literature and the warnings posted in the instructions for their products.

With this said, let me say that I did do an experiment a couple of years ago, which I posted on the CZClone Forum, where I'm a moderator. In that experiment, I fired 9x19 ammunition in a 9x21 barrel, 9x19 and 9x21 ammunition in a .38 Super barrel and .40 S&W ammunition in a 10mm barrel. They all fired and functioned just fine, but I don't recommend doing this. There is much too much stress on the extractor, which is the only thing holding the casing against the boltface.

I have regularly fired 9x23 Winchester ammunition in a .38 Super barrel, since the main difference is a tapered case vs. a straight case, but the lengths are identical. The 9x23 Winchester case is so thick that even after firing in a .38 Super barrel, the expended, unsized, case will still drop into a 9x23 case gauge, unlike a .38 Super case. Once again, I don't recommend this practice to anyone.

Hope this helps.

Fred