View Single Post

Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabby View Post
As several people have already stated, the 22lr is not the go-to round for self-defense. But my opinion is that an accurate, reliable gun is better than no gun at all, regardless of caliber. I have a .45 acp, 10mm, .357 mag, two .40 S&W's and two 9mm's. And yet, I often hike and camp, especially in the summer, with nothing more than my S&W M63 22lr revolver. Therefore, I guess I bet my life on a 22lr from time to time. To answer your question, I would go with a hyper-velocity hollow point, that cycles through your rifle reliably, and is accurate to the point of aim. I small game hunt a lot with a 22lr rifle and the three rounds that definitely make the most tissue damage are the CCI Stinger, Remington Yellow Jacket, and the new Winchester Xpediter. In your case, I would have to eliminate the Yellow Jacket because of the cone shaped bullet. They do not feed best in semi-auto guns. But either the Stinger or Xpediter should function well, and provide sufficent damage. Buy a box of both and see which ones your rifle likes best. That would be the winner.
don't forget about remington viper, never had any problems with those.