View Single Post

Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,043 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoefc View Post
Goony, Charlie Flick has a better data base than mine, I think, so maybe he will post an answer to your question about the highest numbered SV gun. My records record SV813132 shipped April 4, 1946, with a 5 in. barrel. I also recorded a VS gun , VS813414, ship date unknown. Hope that helps! Ed.
That certainly extends the upper limit on the SV prefix guns significantly beyond what I had stated (based on my limited information) at the start of this thread. And, I'd note, SV813132 exceeds what is published in SCSW as the highest number "Victory" (paying attention to the terminology per your most recent post) - which is given there as SV811832 - by (doing the math) 1,300! And the VS prefixed gun stretches the envelope further yet. Thank you, Ed.

PS - Looking at the progression here, I think S8139XX reported earlier in this thread may not be just a case of a dropped "V" - I think the argument can be made that it is an extremely early "S" prefix gun. But I think both your perspective and mine on that one are plausible enough to say the jury's still out pending some additional evidence one way or another - ideally consisting of some more documented pieces in that high 813000 number range.
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"