View Single Post

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

This gets asked periodically. I've been reading threads here for what, eight years now? Comes up every sixth months or those. Breaks down to the optimists/those who like it convenient that tend to carry a J frame and maybe a reload... and then folks carrying things ranging from several 1911s, N frames, etc.

It's really all about numbers and how one responds to niggling little doubts. One simple way to figure it is that there will be at least one or two attackers, one out three shots fired will strike a target(optimistically), and perhaps half of those will cause a cessation of hostile action.

The most I've read of being fired by an armed citizen in this country in modern times was 105 rounds in a matter of minutes. The shooter was an FFL named Beckwith whom some guys tried to rob.

Most ever? Probably around 400rds that one guy, a former Union Army soldier, fired with his Henry repeating rifle during the wagon box fight. As some accounts have it, the guy was in the habit of carrying his Henry and no less than 1000rds of ammo out and about in a wagon.

And apparent ancestor of mine died in the Fetterman massacre, they found around 50 empty casings around him and another man, both of whom had Henry repeating rifles. Contemporary reports of blood at the scene suggested that they'd hit perhaps eight of their attackers. Shrug.