View Single Post

Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

The last several days I have heard on the news we are going in a recession. I want to know just when did we get out of the last one I thought we were still in? I do know I have on paper, lost something like $40,000s in my 401K and IRA acounts that I live off! I still am a man of faith. On top of that I am/was a gambler. Quite a mix, huh? Well I retired january of 2,000. By march that year I had lost roughly40% in my 401K and IRA`s. It never did go completely back, but did regain quite a bit. Of course it`s been up and down like a yo-yo ever since. Ever once in awhile when it tops out we pull a few thousand out to supplement my soc sec.
This morning I am down $9,700s as we speak! I just checked. That figure is just right now down from last night!!!
I aint going to kill myself. I havent lost a dime untill I sell some stock. The same stock will eventualy go back up.
As to the question about selling guns. It`s pretty hard and maybe stupid to sell a beloved gun for $500s when your portifolio go`s up or down 5 or 10 Xs that amount on the average daily! There is a time to sell those guns though. It`s just before your death, after the ones you have ear marked for heir`s, to sell the other ones as our wives probley wont get 20 cents on the dollar of what we would sell for! I aint doing it yet though. I am both a christian AND a gambler. A very odd mix! EDIT: Just looked again, and now it`s well over -$10,000s down! Brother, can you spare a dime?

Last edited by feralmerril; 08-04-2011 at 12:03 PM.