View Single Post

Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,022 Times in 522 Posts

This is just my own experience, and my comments apply only to fixed sight models. I've had two non-P&R era fixed sight revolvers, a 547 (and before anyone calls me on it, I realize the "recessed" aspect really doesn't apply to this model) and a 681. Neither would shoot to point of aim, the 681 being way off in this regard. I imagine I could've sent them back to S&W to be tweaked and made right, but it's not the kind of out of the box performance that inspires confidence in your sidearm. However, every P&R fixed sight I've shot, and I mean every one of them, be it an ancient M&P or a Model 60, puts the rounds right where you want them to go. So, why should I take another chance on a non-P&R gun unless it has an adjustable sight?

Now both of the above revolvers were 1980's vintage, and I recognize that manufacturing techniques have evolved since then, and I know plenty of people are entirely satisfied with their 21st century S&W fixed sight revolver's accuracy. But as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, then there's that pesky internal lock....
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"