View Single Post

Old 08-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Liked 5,214 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
My current belief, subject to change, is that if one examines the ability to stop with one shot, which most of this stuff you read is trying to quantify then unless you feel an army of 'ferals' will be attacking simultaneously, then the number of rounds becomes less relevant.

I don't know. . . I'm confusing myself
One last comment.
Having killed a large number of animals under various circumstances, I discount the endless, pointless, debate about "one shot stops" because of the underlying implication of the "one shot stop guarantee." (which you can't get in a handgun)
Bullet placement is the whole problem unless you are using a 20mm to blow rabbits into dust.

Given the circumstance of a captive animal, I can kill a full-grown hog with a .22 short first time, every time.

Given the circumstance of a wild animal on the loose, I can't place my shot that accurately, so I want something bigger. A 400lb boar ignored the hunter and kept attacking the dogs after 6 180gr .357 hits here and there. One 158gr bullet through the ear cut the brain stem and dropped him like a rock.

I don't worship at the alter of muzzle energy, and count shot placement first, penetration second, and to quote Eric, "everything else is angels dancing on the head of a pin."
(which is much more polite than my usual phrase "mental masturbation.")