View Single Post

Old 08-13-2011, 12:53 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

OK, I see item E1 and believe it is represented by photo 66, which is the first revolver pictured on page 2. I don't see the lanyard loop, but I agree that is a postwar frame. I also agree that a lanyard loop on a gun of this apparent vintage would probably have been a non-factory installation.

E1 is identified as a Model 28-2, which means the gun should date no earlier than 1961. If those are the original grips, the lack of a diamond around the escutcheon means the gun cannot be earlier than 1968. I don't understand the serial number at all, because that gun should bear a number starting with an N followed by a variable number of digits or an S followed by six digits.

Leaving aside the question of the number, I'd say $400 is a good price for a slightly worn 28-2, but not a spectacular price. Not that I am an expert on 28s, but I would think $450 or so is a fair price for that one. With the visible wear, a price of $500 or north would make me walk away. At $500, you are not far from the border of Model 27 territory, and I would take one of those in preference to a 28 almost any day of the week.