View Single Post

Old 08-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Liked 16,954 Times in 3,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
Idealy, man marrys woman, neither married before, and they live happly ever after. In this day it`s far different than 70 years ago. My dad had 15 half and full brothers and sisters. Only one divorice, and that brother remarried his wife. Today, odd`s are impossible that could happen again. I and many cousins have had divorice`s.
In my case I got married the first time at 41 to a woman 29 years old. It was each of our first marrage. The daughter came 3 years earlier, and she was mad at me. That one only lasted about 4 years and while I thought I was happy, she evidently wasnt.
I was a batchlor many years on each side of that short marrage, but had many girl friends. Most were fine women that wanted to get married but I didnt want to handle their kids that they all had still at home.
Frankly, I aint proud of my single days. Let me put it watered down this way: I tired or got bored easily after haveing a undisclosed number of different girlfriends. When you get older you change that adolesent outlook. However, you also get gunshy. I am now happly married again. Theresa wouldnt have liked me 30, 40 years ago. She is 17 years younger but I couldnt picture me with a woman my age. Her kids and my daughter were all out of the house and married when we met. Her ex died about two weeks ago and belive it or not, I will be traveling and takeing her to the memorial service two weeks from now. I think it`s been a dozzen or 15 years since she seen or even talked to him on the phone. She raised 3 kids without a dime of child support from him. He was a nere do well, and decided it would be easier to be a "cowboy" in a remote area of idaho rather than get a job and pay the support money that would have been impossible to catch up on. She has never hated him but as he got involved with other women, she wouldnt continue to live with him. I think it adversely affected two of her kids lives big time. The other, a daughter, turned out the opposite and today is a big time executive in a huge company.
I think that had many divoriced couples met and married when they were 30 instead of 19 they would have got along fine. On the other hand, they probley wouldnt have gave each other a secound look!
Good luck, Beemer guy!
Thanks for your thoughtful post. Yes, relationships are different these days, and I have only a handful of friends who don't have an "ex" in their backgrounds. I think part of the reason for that is that divorce is easier now, another reason I think is that women have more choices available in their lives.

I understand what you mean about being single now. I enjoy dating, and there are a lot of eligible ladies out there if you make the effort to circulate. I laughingly tell people that the only difference in my life between now and when I was 18 is that now I have more money and my own home. :-)

I have a couple of buddies in the same circumstance as myself -- one divorced, one widowed -- and one of them describes us as "catches", not because we are handsome or anything, but because we are single, self-supporting, and have no small children at home. For a lot of women, that means a lot.

Armyphotog told me to run for my life, and I was thinking, I have done exactly that on a couple of occasions. On my second date with one lady several months ago, I mentioned that I would like to go to Germany next winter, and spend a little time in the Alps then. She immediately told me she'd like to go with me. I gently suggested that perhaps we should get to know each other a little bit better before we plan a trip together in 7 months. (I haven't been out with her since.)

Thanks again for your post, and congratulations on your successful marriage. :-)