View Single Post

Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Liked 407 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117 View Post
I just don't understand S&W's thinking. Why not make a few hundred over runs ?
I don't think they want to continue or promote the "older" guns. Remember that although a few dozen (?) of people like us, on a few enthusiast forums, would buy these guns, it may well be that the actual customer base is more like several dozen than several hundred, and I doubt even several hundred is a compelling number from a production standpoint. As I understand it, these guns would sell new for $700.00-$900.00 now and I don't know if that is a competitive price with Glocks and M&Ps and such selling for less.

I have no idea how much they make on a gun, but I doubt the profit from even a few hundred gets anyone's attention at S&W or similar companies. Also, it means maintaining warranty service and parts as well. I don't know what S&W would require as a minimum order, or if they would even entertain the idea, but I think if there was a sufficient market and a profit to be had, one of the big distributors would put together a large order.

I would not be surprised to learn that S&W is only willing to supply the 3rd gen guns to LE agencies because of concerns with market presence and goodwill in that community, rather than due to a per-contract profit.

Lastly, there is always a small group who want something once it is gone. When the 3rd gen guns were actively promoted I seem to recall hearing all kinds of complaints from the typical cop and civilian user about them being big and heavy and clunky. "Everyone" wanted the newest, lightest, highest capacity, shoot it underwater, never rust, never lube, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin wonder gun. I can remember hearing comments and reading all kinds of posts on various forums where cops complained about carrying around "bricks" and anchors and how they couldn't wait for something lighter than their 4566, 4006 or 5906.

Only a smallish group of people (including me and most of you reading this) avoided getting the disease and were (and still are) happy to carry the S&W.

It would be nice if I am wrong about this. It is what I think, not what I wish.
The Following User Likes This Post: