View Single Post

Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Liked 4,309 Times in 2,113 Posts

As noted, the 45ACP revolvers can be rather expensive. Current production for steel framed revolvers in 45ACP has 2 models. The 625 Performance Center will likely run in the range of 900 dollars new with the price varying depending on the dealer. The 625 JM is about 100 dollars less at about 800 dollars.

If your budget can't stretch this far, you can try looking for a used 625. However, if you find one I would expect it will be priced between 650 and 700 dollars unless it's been really beat up. BTW, on any used revolver you want to take a close look at the stop notches on the cylinder and this is especially true for the 625 due to it's populariting in IDPA and Bowling pin matches. A lot of rapid fire double action shooting can beat these stop notches up badly enough to require a new cylinder. This means that it will actually be less expensive to purchase a brand new 625 JM instead of a 600 dollar beater.

PS; currently I'm in a bit of a quandary. A local dealer has a new 627-5 that I've been eyeballing and just this week a 625 JM showed up. Plus for the 625 JM is that it's the ideal revolver for IDPA ESR, minus is that I'm not sure I want to add another caliber to my "arsenel" and that 627 fits in with what I shoot now.

As for a carry option, there are several members that carry steel N frames. Yeah, at about 42 ounces they are heavier than most would choose for daily carry but with the correct holster and belt I have no doubt it can be done. As for the Scandium framed 325 variants, I don't do well with the recoil these light weight revolvers can produce. To many years of working with my hands has left me with some definate limitations on how much recoil my wrists can tolerate without lasting effects. If you are young with good healty wrists, I have no doubt you can handle the recoil of the scandium models, the simple fact is that the 45ACP really isn't that powerful.