View Single Post

Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsmithers View Post
All I've got to say is... You've got to LOVE Smith and Wesson's customer service! And you more than likely have the ONLY 3rd generation 669 out there.

A co-worker of mine is within a few months of retirement. He's spent the last 20+ years assigned to Homicide. Back when he was a rookie he bought a model 37 Airweight. A few months ago he looked at it while cleaning and discovered a crack in the frame below the barrel. He brought it in to show me and I verified that it was indeed cracked and now unsafe to shoot. Needless to say he was heartbroken that his trusty off duty carry gun had died in the line of duty. I suggested he call Customer Service and send it back with a nice letter.

To his surprise he received an E-mail back saying that the revolver was not repairable but they would send a replacement to his FFL of choice. When he went to pick it up they had sent him a 637 free of charge. He wasn't too happy about the internal lock but hey, it was FREE!

Now, how many companies can we think of where you can use an item for almost 30 years, it breaks and they send you a free replacement?

I'll be a Smith and Wesson fan FOREVER!
S&W CS was great to deal with and fast as I recall. It would have been 1988 and the 6906 had just come out. I was even thinking of trading the last year's 669 for the 6906 before the crack occurred. When I first got it back I was worried about the trade in or resale value. As you can see, 23 years later I haven't sold it or traded it and I do not plan on it. Now I am glad they didn't just send me a new 6906, but gave me a "Gen 3" 669 instead. I am curious to know if there are any others or similar ....