View Single Post

Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Suspended

Liked 8,916 Times in 3,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilike9mm View Post

.38, sure you've seen a million of them!

I know I will invoke the wrath of S & W purists. The front sight of my snub nose .38 is high and blocks the view of the target; I can't see what I want to hit.

I want to take my pistol over to the bench grinder and grind off about a quarter inch of front sight, so that I can line up the front with the rear and have a "good sight picture". I think: functionality over appearance, get it so it is accurate! On the other side of the coin: "what the hell...grinding off material on a perfectly good gun"? You can never put it back and I might ruin the resale value, even though I don't plan on selling.

Any other ideas? I am just a plinker, but I like to be "dead on".
First, the basic sight picture for any gun with open sights is with the front sight centered in the rear notch, and the top of the front sight even with the rear sight. Any S&W revolver will shoot within a few inches of where the sights are aligned when proper ammunition is used. In the case of your Model 60 that would be 158 gr. bullets.

Second, 1/4"?? Look closely, the front sight isn't even 1/4" high!

Let me tell you what I read into your post, based on what you have said. You have never fired a revolver, or probably any handgun, in your life. You, like many non-shooters, assume the barrel should point directly at the target, and you see that when held this way the front sight appears to be too high. This situation is perfectly normal and is done by design.

Before firing a handgun must be aligned with the barrel pointed to a position well below the intended point-of-impact. This is because the gun begins to recoil the instant the charge fires and the bullet begins to move. The gun will "climb" in recoil until, at the time the bullet actually leaves the muzzle, the barrel is actually pointed at the target or slightly above. Those nasty "physics" things, momentum and all.

Go shoot the gun, aligning the sights as noted above, and see where the bullet hits. Since you haven't shot a revolver before I will bet the point of impact will be low as you have not developed trigger control yet and will probably "jerk" the trigger.
The Following User Likes This Post: