View Single Post

Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
one eye joe;I MUST declare that the proper Bullseye Pistol sight placement for an iron sighted handgun is the "6 O'CLOCK HOLD". NO HIGH LEVEL COMPETITOR THAT I KNOW OF, has ever sighted a handgun as illustrated in your link. The error chart IS VALID, however.......

Joe, you are correct about a 6 o' clock hold in bullseye shooting when using a bullseye pistol set up. As you know we set our sights to do precisely that. While the illustration is incorrect for shooting bullseye (competition) with a gun that has the sights adjusted for that type shooting, combat sights are very often set at "center hold" which the illustration linked to by Chubbs shows.

That model 60s sights are most likely set for a center hold from the factory. (My model 36 is,) With that type sight set up, one would shoot at a bullseye target with the sight alignment / sight picture shown. This is how I must shoot at a bullseye target with my guns that have fixed sights set in a center hold configuration.

Like you, all my bullseye guns have adjustable sights, and are set for a six 0' clock hold.

BTW, I see you are a fellow Rhode Islander! Where do you shoot? From your post, I bet we have shot together at some point. I have been a member of the Providence Revolver Club (16 years), and The Pine tree Gun Club (4 years). Used to do a lot of bullseye shooting with PRC.

Almost forgot to address the OP! Do not grind anything off that gun!!! Set a paper plate target out about 21 feet. Have an experienced shooter who knows about sight alignment and sight picture (and trigger control, breath control, and follow through) shoot the target using a center hold, (or 6 0' clock hold) in single action mode using 158 grain bullets. You will soon see if the POA and POI differ. I would guess that if done correctly, the gun will shoot POA. If not, adjust your sight picture accordingly, but do not grind the front sight off that gun!!!

WG840

Last edited by Wheelgunner840; 08-20-2011 at 10:52 PM.