View Single Post

Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM

Liked 347 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujax01 View Post
My main squeeze is a snub-nosed M64. I practice weekly at 3 yards, 5 yards and 7 yards. On occasion I'll run the target out to 10 yards but really don't see any practical application in practicing shooting at a bad guy from 50 or 75 feet. Besides, my accuracy really drops at anything beyond 20-25 feet and I have a feeling that the sight radius on a 1-7/8" barrel is a bit short for bullseye shooting anyway.

Practice consists of (1) set target at 7 yards, draw from my holster and empty the cylinder as fast as I can keeping the muzzle in-line. This is done cold because in the event of a real-world event I will have no time to "warm up", much less ask the perp to kindly place this orange sticky on his chest.
(2) After I finish cursing my poor performance on (1), I slowly and methodically go through a number of drills at varying distances cited above. Finally, after about a half hour of solid practice, I repeat (1) with much better results.

Am I practicing at the correct distances? Any range drill tips you find helpful?

Thank you for your consideration.

~ Alan
Your distances sound just right to me. But....consider this. years ago when we did our semi annual qual, we would go to the 3 yard line and fire six rounds. We carried revolvers back them. What did we find? Well in actual confrontations our guys would empty their guns. We had one shoot out with armed robbers, the cop emptied his gun from about 10 feet, missed and was trying to reload while the bad guy was pumping rounds at him. The cop go so nervous (wouldnt you) and dropped his reloads in a mud puddle. Lucky for him, his partner ended the gun fight with one well placed shot.

After that, we trained, double tap...assess the threat and one to the head if necessary. Moving is key, dont stand still.. Hard to do at indoor public ranges...but if you can shoot outside, move left, move right, move, move, move...but I do not suggest empty as fast as you can or you will have a very expensive club in your hand.