View Single Post

Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 AM

Liked 176 Times in 78 Posts

Oh no! The Brady bunch infected us with gun worms.

I carried an original early 80s uncoated stainless, alloy Model 642 with rubber stocks for many years in a hip pocket as a second gun. It got wet either due to snow, rain,sweat, and even immersion in salt water a few times when I had to go into the water to rescue accident victims. I never had a problem with any type of corrosion as I took care of the gun. I replaced it with a 342 in the mid 90s and did not have any corrosion issues with that gun either. In a humid environment your gun might need daily attention.

I think part of the problem is that many people assume stainless or alloy guns do not need care. All guns need to be stripped down if wet and cleaned off and properly lubed. I foolishly didn't remove the wood stocks on a stainless Colt 1911 for a few days after getting soaked in a rain storm. I found the beginnings of rust under the stocks a few days later when I tore the gun down for cleaning. My theory is that wood is worse than rubber as it will absorb moisture if not heavily oiled where as rubber does not.

Regarding the early 642 mentioned above, S&W told me that it was discontinued because of the difference in finish between the stainless cylinder and the uncoated duller alloy frame. It is a great gun and I still shoot it on occasion. A few years later they brought out the satin nickel 442s that had the peeling finish. I bought one for my son and S&W destroyed it when they tried getting the old nickel finish off but that's a whole 'nother story.
The Following User Likes This Post: