View Single Post

Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,591 Times in 2,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilike9mm View Post
Really, NOT KIDDING here. I have been shooting most of my life (older than 55), most of the time (duh) you line up the front thingy between the back thang...bang. No problem.

I am new to the .38 Snubnose. I just don't get the front sight being too tall! Line em up, shoots low. I put the orange paint on the sight to give me an indication of elevation. It is not bullet drop, target at 15 feet. I want to hit a gonad on a gnat (they make em big here in NorCa), and can't do it; because I can't see through the front sight. Aim high, I still can't see what I want to hit.

Thanks for all the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilike9mm View Post
Again thanks to all. I feel that I am just not communicating my thoughts in the appropriate manner. Or, there is some great misunderstanding here. I am new to a Snubby, the front sight is a little too tall to get the alignment that I am used to: as on the hundreds of handguns I've fired.
Well, I, for one, believe you. Where most of us got off track was that you seemed to be showing us a target where you were shooting high with your altered sight picture. If that is true, then you need a bit more orange so you don't raise your muzzle quite so high. Once you get the gun sighted in, you simply file off enough of the front sight to get down to the orange. WARNING: Aside from the usual warning about going slow on metal removal, you should know that the proper sight height will vary with bullet weight, and sometimes even with different cartridges with the same bullet weight. It will also vary with the grips on the revolver, and with YOUR grip on the revolver. If you are getting small groups and you are sure that you have settled on what ammo and grips and grip you are going to use, you are probably ready for sight alteration.

Fellow board members: S&W DOES make such errors at times. When they brought out the 342PD with a pinned-in red-insert front sight, both mine and the one bought by the town PD's firearms instructor shot low, even with 158gr ammo. Just about the whole insert had to be held above the rear sight.