View Single Post

Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Liked 279 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalty View Post
Geeze read through all this, and my first question is: "were the loads mislabeled?"
Good Question.
Short answer..... No ...(didn't think I could do it did ya

Each set of 5 cartridges get a black sharpie number put on the side of the case at loading time. That number is immediately added to the range sheet next to the load then either at the range or by prior assignment the gun that load is shot in is also noted. I've been doing it that way for years after getting data all mixed up trying to make-it-up while shooting and get all confused later when compiling at home. Now I make a paper trail and follow it. (I only do this when working up a load - not for general loading - those get an ID code on the box)

I think I may have found my problem. I said I put a new battery in the chrono... When ever I change batteries in a device, I mark the date on the side. If there is no date then its a new battery. I recalled that my spare had been in my range bag over a year,since I installed the other one that was in the chrony. So last night out of curiosity I measured the voltage. The one I took out was 8.46v and the 'new' one I put in was 8.67v ! A new battery is about 9.5v so I think that is the culprit (at least I hope so- we will find out). I had a similar incident about 15 years ago with a .243 shooting 5500~6000 fps. PACT told me the battery was the culprit - they were right.
I usually try to keep fresh batteries on hand but this one may have slipped thru.

Yeah, I know... I get pretty anal with that sharpie - I even mark the date I buy my jeans on the inside pocket so I can see how long I get to wear them.

I have 60 new loads made up to repeat the test.

Last edited by 125JHP; 08-26-2011 at 10:32 PM.