View Single Post

Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Liked 4,315 Times in 2,114 Posts

Just got back from the range. As noted in a prior post I've tuned the trigger to 7 lbs. 14 ounces double action and 3 lbs. 2 ounces single action. I've also installed a Cylinder & Slide extended length and travel firing pin that measured at an overall length of 0.510 inch.

Shot 48 rounds of American Eagle 230 gn. FMJ in moon clips and 50 rounds of Speer Lawman 230 gn. FMJ without moon clips. Function in double action was 100% perfection and both the moon clipped and the headspaced casings showed good firm firing pin impressions. Did not see any evidence of cracking in the primer dimples so at this trigger weight the C&S firing pin is not overstriking the primers. However, I would NOT recomend using this firing pin with the trigger at factory weight, IMO too much risk of that pin piercing the primer and getting stuck.

Now, concerning that cocked barrel. I had to shift the rear sight to nearly it's full extent of travel to zero the sight. I'm currently considering contacting S&W and having them straighten the barrel on the frame. However, I'm going to wait until the 500 Magnum grips arrive because I was having minor issues with recoil management with the JM grips installed.

Fact is that I didn't group very well with it today. Didn't find the JM grip a good fit and kept getting pinched by it under recoil. Also chose to shoot at a range that keeps the Speer Lawman in stock and this particular range doesn't have functional booth lights. With my eyesight that's not good for shooting tight groups. Good news is that the gold bead was visible, bad news is the rear sight blade wasn't and the astigmatism in my dominant eye produced a horizontally skewed double teardrop of that bead. Shot well enough to keep them in a 5 inch shoot-n-c at 30 feet but that is all I could do. Next time out I think I'll put my scope on it and wring it out a bit at a local 50 yard indoor range and do a bit of benchrest shooting just to see what it can do.

Now concerning the cylinder. As noted in my initial report the chambers in the cylinder are the most perfect I've ever seen in a revolver. However, the entries need chamfering, something I'll do when I take it down to clean it up. I have diamond burrs for my Dremel so chamfering the cylinder is only about a 10 minute task. Loading the moon clips was a bit fussy in it's present state. Good news is those perfect chambers meant that loose rounds could be shaken free with a firm shake. To be honest, IMO the current production sample I have is good enough that moon clips really aren't needed, any rounds that didn't fall free could easily be picked out by snagging the rim with a fingernail.

Finally concerning the recoil for those questioning how it feels. IMO it's about equal to a 38 +P in something like a model 15 or tapered barrel model 67. Quite simply you feel it but it's nothing like 357 Magnums in my model 620. For those looking to stepping up from 38 spl. in something like a model 686, it's a step up but not a huge step.