View Single Post

Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

If you reload the .44 makes a fine choice, although components can cost you more then .357 just due to the weight and amount of metal in the bullet.

I'm not new to .44's but it's been many years and I just picked up a new 4" 629, I started out with some 240 LSWC loads running from 800-900 fps to get reacquainted with it.

Sweet loads, minimal recoil and inexpensive.

The new 629's have a new rubber grip that covers the backstrap, at first I wasn't too impressed due to the extra length of pull to the trigger and was thinking of picking up a set of the old style open backstrap Houge's, but after shooting some heavy loads I'm now pleased with it and for now the grip is staying.

Nothing wrong with a .357 either and has been pointed out, .38 level ammo can be purchased over the counter at a decent price, which I don't believe is the case with .44 in ether Magnum or Special.

As a young college guy, if you're really counting every penny and if it were me I'd probably start with a good used .357.

I owned a 4" 686 for many, many years (still kicking self for selling it) and as gkitch pointed out it's one heck of a versatile gun.

And if you're really pinching penny's there is nothing wrong with a good .22, everyone should own at least one.
The Following User Likes This Post: