View Single Post

Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Liked 189 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
I'm posting this in several places to try and get the best answers. I will reply if anything positive pops up.

Does the linkage kit + the powder expander+ Uniflow powder meter= the ability to take a previously sized and primed case and both flare it open and drop the powder at the same time? As in I already have a Uniflow but if I buy the linkage kit and the powder expander, will that all work in one station on a press? I want to have an alternate to a Lee Pro Auto Disk system on a Classic Turret or to be able to load on my Rock Chucker. Am I missing some key component to this happening? Without having said parts to test I can't tell how you even adjust the flare. How far the threaded tube is into the press opening? I got to thinking about this from the threads that have the different options for trying to meld various powder meters with various linkage kits and one guy had an adapter milled to match up with his Lee powder through expander die. This seems a whole lot less complicated unless I'm missing some important part still.

Linkage kit in question:
MidwayUSA - The page you were looking for could not be found...

And expander add on part:
MidwayUSA - The page you were looking for could not be found...

I do note that Hornady offers a similar add on as well:
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Powder Measure & Accessories :: Lock-N-Load Powder Measure & Accessories :: PTX™ - Universial Powder Through Expanders

Does the bottom part of the linkage kit act as a die body that the expander set inside of??? I feel like I'm missing something somewhere somehow... I know I'm onto something here but it sounds too good to be true. So does this work, am I missing parts still, or does the reality just not match the dream???
That's how it works, Bob. I have two of the Hornady units. Hornady & RCBS are virtually identical. Best upgrade I could have made to an old RCBS progressive press. After buying a Hornady LNL, I realized most of my problems with my old RCBS stemmed from the primer system, & the powder dispensing system. Bought another Hornady linkage kit & couldn't be happier (it actually helped the primer system too, not having spilled powder all the time).
Yes the powder thru expander die fits in the lower part of the activator "die", & replaces the part that pushes up on the case. It's a whole lot easier to adjust the whole set-up than to try to explain it, too! While I don't use or have a need for powder thru expanding, I considered it for the same reason you are considering. I too, have the Lee Classic Turret (and really like it for quick, short runs of ammo) Either the Hornady or RCBS (I would just buy the one in stock, & the best price) units will work great for what you intend.

Darrel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDC_0031.jpg (71.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg PDC_0032.jpg (72.0 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg PDC_0033.jpg (69.8 KB, 208 views)