View Single Post

Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglaispierre View Post
Several hunters follow and control the dogs, several vehicles to survey the hunt generally, and the rest of us posted at fixed positions around the woods we are hunting. Once we are allocated a position we do not move from it. We maintain a safety angle of 30 degrees between each hunter. The dogs drive the deer out of the woods, and we shoot them (away from the woods so as not to endanger the dogs and the hunters with the dogs), except that I am not very good at that part. My hunt are allowed 10 to 12 deer per year for our territory, and we initially have three days fixed for hunting. If we don't get our quota within that time we continue on subsequent week-ends until we have them. The quota is based on population. I can't go out on my own hunting deer, must be part of the organised hunt.

My own hunt insist on shotguns only, but others allow rifles. The thinking behind our restriction is that the range is less with a shotgun, so there is less danger to other hunters or anyone else out in the woods. The downside is the short range and the lack of accuracy. Deer should only be shot at less than 30 metres to increase the chance of a clean kill. We use number 1 or 2 shot for deer, but if we see a boar we need to change to a slug. We always get our quota.

And we don't have a single white flag between us!
No offense man but if you can't hunt squirrels and deer on your own... You sold the white flag.