View Single Post

Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule88 View Post
I wear camo when hunting squirrels (need all the help I can get) I make things hard on myself and been using either a M-17 or m-617 with 6 inch Bbl. Im usually pretty successful if i can get within 35 yds or so. I dont use a scope but if I did I may be able to add a few yards to that. I just love the challenge the handgun gives. May not get as many squirrels but I have alot of fun doing it.
That's what I like to hear. Someone who hunts without fancy add-ons like scopes and red dots. If I was allowed to hunt squirrels, that's how I would like to do it. Sadly, handguns are banned for hunting here in France. But the standard sights of my Winchesters or my CZ are all I need. Same at the range. People tell me to cock my handguns and shoot single action to make for greater accuracy. Some say use a rest. May as well have a machine do it for me. I want the challenge of doing it all for myself, not going for the easy option. Hunting is the same. It's me against that animal. Sometimes he wins, sometimes I do. Killing per se is not the objective.

As for the restriction on hunting deer, it's a conservation thing. If every individual hunter shot every deer he saw, there'd be none left in no time. Many times I have watched them, sometimes very close, gun in hand but open. Sometimes you just have to admire nature rather than kill it. I don't have a problem with that. And squirrels are quite rare in this region.

CajunBass, nice to hear your wife has a go when she can. Long may she continue. I divorced my ex-wife long before I came to France and took up hunting. I still miss her, but some of those fancy scopes should improve my accuracy (lol).