View Single Post

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,124 Times in 260 Posts
Default My thoughts

Although I mostly carry a DA revolver or a semi-auto pistol, every now and then, and I don't really need nor have a good reason, I just feel like strapping one of my .44 or .45 caliber single actions on while I go about my business - they shoot well, sling a big ol' slug and "point" well. Are they the "best choice"? It would be hard for me argue that they are, but they don't make me feel any less comforted in likely SD situations.

OKFCO5:

I understand what you're saying - it's your class so you run it as you see fit; and you’re dealing with folks with little if any self defense firearms training, so the range rules likely need to be a bit tighter. I'm not arguing with ya here; but,

The way I see it for myself though, with single action revolvers, is I don't plan on thumbing the hammer unless I'm planning on pulling the trigger. In other words, unless I've made a reasoned decision to shoot I don't cock the hammer.

As a general rule, I think even pointing a gun directly at a person’s CoM is ill advised unless the decision has been made that a shot is justified. Either you have an imminent deadly threat or you don’t. If the “alarms” are going off in your head, but you cannot immediately see an “imminent deadly threat” justification, then a “low ready” presentation may be justified, but your finger should off the trigger, the safety still engaged or the hammer still at rest. Once the “imminent deadly threat” decision/justification has been made then by all means get that gun pointed on target and whatever else you need to do to get that shot off – just not before justified.